Is there any chance to post actual videos compressed with the listed
methods. I want to test compatibility with a Pocket PC so we can end
up with recommended compression method and settings that will be
compatible with the iPod AND a Pocket PC. My users and I thank you ;-
).

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video,
podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Many thanks for the guides/review.
>
> In regards the movie to ipod export option, believe it or not the
> resolution that its giving you is actually a more accurate
> representation of your NTSC DV footage than 320x240 is.
>
> Its an aspect ratio issue. NTSC is 720x480. To turn 720 into 320,
> divide by 2.25. To maintain the aspect ratio, the same reduction
> should also be performed on the vertical resolution. But if you
divive
> 480 by 2.25, you get 213.3333 not 240.
>
> So quicktime is actually just trying to maintain the aspect ratio.
In
> other parts of the world that use PAL rather than NTSC, DV res is
> 720x576. So results are different with PAL footage. I just tried it
> and my PAL 720x576 footage gets turned into a 300x240 clip. Same
> reason, its maintaining the aspect ratio. This time its divided the
> vertical and horizontal resolution by a factor of 2.4.
>
> Anyway in practise videobloggers havent been worrying about this
> stuff, so in every videoblog created with a DV cam, the aspect
ratio
> is slightly wrong on the final 320x240 footage. NTSC footage at
> 320x240 is stretched, so you are slightly thinner than in real
life.
> PAL footage is slightly squashed, so I am slightly fatter than in
real
> life.
>

> More tech info on aspect ratio stuff here:
>
> http://www.mir.com/DMG/aspect.html
>
> Certainly easier to forget this issue than worry about it I guess,
but
> I can see why Apple have done what theyve done on this one.
>
> Steve of Elbows
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Verdi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Export "Movie to iPod (320 X 240)"
> > I had hoped that this would be an easy to use preset that would
be
> > great for videobloggers and the iPod but it's not.  If you edit
some
> > DV footage and use this option it will make your compressed
video 320
> > X 213 which looks like crap.  What this feature seems intended
for
> > (and is good at doing) is taking an old quicktime movie
(compressed
> > with something else like Sorenson) that you've already
downloaded and