Hey Mike,

If you're correct about baseline vs main profile as applied to .mov
files, it's ridiculous. Why would Apple nobble their own format like
that?

Some of choose to use .mov files compressed with H.264 because of
the potential to add hyperlinks in a .mov file. To lose that
functionality is a big bummer. AND to find this out after lashing
out and buying QT7 for Windows is even worse!

If you would be so kind, please double-check as to whether it's
true. The latest post at Crash Test Kitchen is a .mov file
compressed using H.264 and if you're right it won't work on your
iPod.

Thanks,
Waz
www.crashtestkitchen.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Verdi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just got a new iPod yesterday and I've been doing some tests
with
> it.  Here's what I've figured out so far.  Please feel free to add
> this.
>
> Videos encoded with 3ivx and Apple's mpeg4, with AAC or mpeg4-
audio
> (QT 6) all seem to work following the tutorials that we've posted
at
> FreeVlog:
>
> The one problem with all of these tutorials is that if you are on
> Windows you will need the Pro version of QuickTime in order to
have
> access to the AAC audio codec required by the iPod.
>
> So, if you do have QuickTime Pro 7 for Windows you can also use
it
> compress full resolution DV files (AVI format) using the process
in
> this tutorial:
> The difference here being that you won't have to go through Avid
Free
> DV (because you've purchased QT Pro) and you'll be using the AAC
> audio codec and not IMA 4:1 like the tutorial says.
>
> H.264
> So the thing about the "Baseline" profile vs. the "Main" profile
that
> Steve Watkins was talking about is correct.  The iPod is only
> compatible with H.264 movies using the "Baseline" profile.  The
> problem is that when you export as a QuickTime movie from FCP,
> Compressor, QT Pro, iMovie, QT Pro for Windows, etc., you have no
> ability to select which profile is used.  The bad news is
that "Main"
> is what is used by default.  So, any .mov file compressed using
H.264
> is not going to be compatible with the iPod.
>
> But all hope is not lost for those of you wishing to use H.264.
What
> you will have to do is export to "MPEG-4", select H.264 as your
> codec, click the "Video Options" button and "restrict profile" to
> "baseline."  Of course you also have to use AAC as the audio
codec.
> I've verified that this works on both Mac and PC.
>
> Export "Movie to iPod (320 X 240)"
> I had hoped that this would be an easy to use preset that would
be
> great for videobloggers and the iPod but it's not.  If you edit
some
> DV footage and use this option it will make your compressed video
320
> X 213 which looks like crap.  What this feature seems intended
for
> (and is good at doing) is taking an old quicktime movie
(compressed