Steve,

By all means bet your life; but I'd just like _someone_ with a video
iPod to try one of my files and confirm what happens.

The reason being, Apple have published loosely worded specs before.
Witness their original iTunes RSS specs, flawed in several areas. If
you read they're video-for-iPod specs you can argue they're somewhat
ambiguous.

As for compatibility, it depends on your audience, and it seems the
vast majority of CTK's audience are using iTunes.

Anyway it's well after bedtime in my part of the world ...

Waz
www.crashtestkitchen.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Hey Mike,
> >
> > If you're correct about baseline vs main profile as applied
to .mov
> > files, it's ridiculous. Why would Apple nobble their own format
like
> > that?
> >
> > Some of choose to use .mov files compressed with H.264 because
of
> > the potential to add hyperlinks in a .mov file. To lose that
> > functionality is a big bummer. AND to find this out after
lashing
> > out and buying QT7 for Windows is even worse!
> >
> > If you would be so kind, please double-check as to whether it's
> > true. The latest post at Crash Test Kitchen is a .mov file
> > compressed using H.264 and if you're right it won't work on your
> > iPod.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Waz
> > www.crashtestkitchen.com
> >

> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Verdi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just got a new iPod yesterday and I've been doing some tests
> > with
> > > it.  Here's what I've figured out so far.  Please feel free to
add
> > > this.
> > >
> > > Videos encoded with 3ivx and Apple's mpeg4, with AAC or mpeg4-
> > audio
> > > (QT 6) all seem to work following the tutorials that we've
posted
> > at
> > > FreeVlog:
> > >
> > > The one problem with all of these tutorials is that if you are
on
> > > Windows you will need the Pro version of QuickTime in order to
> > have
> > > access to the AAC audio codec required by the iPod.
> > >
> > > So, if you do have QuickTime Pro 7 for Windows you can also
use
> > it
> > > compress full resolution DV files (AVI format) using the
process
> > in
> > > this tutorial:
> > > The difference here being that you won't have to go through
Avid
> > Free
> > > DV (because you've purchased QT Pro) and you'll be using the
AAC
> > > audio codec and not IMA 4:1 like the tutorial says.
> > >
> > > H.264
> > > So the thing about the "Baseline" profile vs. the "Main"
profile
> > that
> > > Steve Watkins was talking about is correct.  The iPod is only
> > > compatible with H.264 movies using the "Baseline" profile.
The
> > > problem is that when you export as a QuickTime movie from
FCP,
> > > Compressor, QT Pro, iMovie, QT Pro for Windows, etc., you have
no
> > > ability to select which profile is used.  The bad news is
> > that "Main"
> > > is what is used by default.  So, any .mov file compressed
using
> > H.264
> > > is not going to be compatible with the iPod.
> > >
> > > But all hope is not lost for those of you wishing to use
H.264.