Exactly, music services obviously want to make sure they achieve the maximum
number of subscribers possible hence it is in Apple's interest to be available
on as many platforms as possible. I don't think you can compare Apple's "walled
garden" concept which they have for iOS and apps with their music service. As
Mary pointed out, Apple Music is available on Android just as there is a google
Play Music app for iOS and you can also get an app for Amazon Music including
access to Prime Music for iOS and apps for pretty much every other music
service out there. In this case I don't think you can accuse Apple of not being
open since they could just as well not allow these apps especially now that
they have their own subscription based music service. Of course this would
probably cause a pretty big backlash by users who prefer Google Play Music,
Spotify or another service but who prefer the iOS hardware instead of Android.
Amazon Music is also not a real serious competitior since according to the app
subscription Amazon Prime members have access to "over one million songs" which
is puny compared to the almost 40 million songs offered by most of the other
services. I guess for people who have Amazon Prime it's a bonuss, I don't even
know if Amazon has a subscription based music service only or if it's just what
is tied to Amazon Prime which also is not available in many countries.
Spotify apparently is available on the Amazon Echo via voice commands but only
since February this year so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple may have a "skill"
for the Amazon Echo to allow for controlling Apple Music via Alexa. Googling
this topic does result in some articles which say "does not yet offer Apple
Music control via Alexa".
Then of course it would appear that based on some other articles I saw Apple is
getting ready to release a competitor to the echo which is rumoured to include
" Next-Gen Natural Language API's" and a camera for facial recognition. Of
course what I would love to see as a Sonos user is something which would allow
me to have complete voice control over my Sonos system. I could then say "Play
Dire Straits from Apple Music in the living room and master bedroom", once it's
playing I could then tell Sonos"add kitchen to the currently playing group"...
I guess there is always dreaming.