Yes, this particular crash reboot only works when VO is active. After backing
up my iPhone today, I tested it. When VO was turned off, pressing the power
button rapidly 10 times did not invoke the crash. I then turned VO back on and
invoked the crash reboot. My iPhone came up quite rapidly after the crash,
which makes me nervous because it means not all of the driver stacks would have
been reloaded.

There has never been any official Apple documentation stating to use this
method that I have ever heard of. A couple people, on one of these lists,
started espousing this method stating that an Apple customer services rep told
them that it would work almost two years ago. I believe it was with iOS 3.
Since that time, Apple has blocked this crash from functioning if iOS is not
running. I wonder if they just forgot to block it with VO running because so
few people use VO, so it hasn't come to their attention. This last thought is
pure speculation on my part.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288