Edmund Storms wrote:
> But Jeff, artifacts do exist. They have been seen by people and
> described in detail. Granted, you are not allowed to see them, but is
> that required ...

Of course, in the realm of science, actually "seeing" something is not
necessary to believe in it.  However, in general, we must know that, in
principle, we *could* see it -- that *possibility* is extremely
important; I might even say *necessary*.  For example, I have never seen
the MM experiment performed, and never expect to; it's a rather delicate
experiment which requires specialized apparatus.  However, the knowledge
that I *could* do so is vitally important in believing that it's not
just a hoax by people trying to support Einstein.

Here, let me make this more concrete:  I have a perpetual motion machine
in my basement.  I can describe what it does, and how wonderfully it
works.  I'll explain to you how I've tied it into my house wiring, and
how I no longer have to pay anything for my electricity.  But, you are
not allowed to see the machine -- I will not let you, even if you ask;
even if you fly out here, you will not be allowed to see it!  Will you
believe me, though, that it really does exist?

By the same token, alien artifacts which have been described in detail
but which we, the common folk who are not in the inner circle, are "not
allowed to see" are not convincing of *anything*.