You have posed some interesting questions Bob.  I have given the charge
weight(50-100g) a modest amount of thought and suggest that the reason for this
magnitude is for practical concerns.  I assume that the heat generation
mechanism occurs throughout the volume of the charge while the heat escaping
into the output must pass through the surface of the reactor chamber.  If they
increased each of the dimensions of the core by a fixed fractional amount then
the ratio of volume to area would increase by that factor.  In other words, the
internal temperature of the reaction material would by necessity go up and
become closer to melting for the same output power per kilogram.  Both of these
groups may have found the best balance to use based upon their geometry and the
amount of time they applied to the situation.

Another factor to consider when choosing the best quantity of material for the
reactors is the efficiency of the heating source required to reach operational
temperature.  The heating associated with this source is lost through the
surface area of the reaction chamber as well.  A larger mass of material in
contact with the heater compared to the surface area of escape leads to easier
heating and less watts.

All of my thoughts are based upon the heat generation mechanism being local to
the reaction region.  Rossi has stated on more than one occasion that radiation
carries a significant amount of energy from this region into the lead shield
where it is released.  DGT suggests that they do not release any significant
amount of radiation by their process and I am left with wondering if the same
mechanism is operating in both cases.  We will only know the truth once the
devices are reverse engineered by skilled scientists and engineers.

Dave