Well, I like how you think.  Try to find something that's unbiased as an
indicator.  Unfortunately, that doesn't work so well for things like cold
fusion.  For instance, look at this comment

http://phys.org/news/2012-11-reveals-declining-high-impact-factor.html
natello <http://phys.org/profile/user/natello/>

   -

1.4 / 5 (7) Nov 07, 2012
The high impact journals tend to be as rigorous and reliable, as possible.
These journals are enforcing the deterministic approach in most stringent
way. The high impact journals tend to specialize to most deterministic
connections, models and phenomena. But just these observations are more and
more rare. You can get a lotta more knowledge from experimentally oriented
articles published in 2nd grade journals.

This particularly applies to cold fusion, which has no theory developed
yet. Therefore no article about cold fusion may appear in mainstream
journal, because it wouldn't fit the criteria of mainstream journals rigor.
This indeed slows down the progress in this research area, because the
scientists are valued by their impact today. And just this new fundamental
and very important research has a lowest amount of theory developed, so it
cannot get high impact. The editors of high-impact journals are essentially
saying with it: don't publish original findings and results there.

The article itself is actually pretty interesting.

Excerpt:

Study reveals declining influence of high impact factor journals Nov 07,
2012
[image: Study reveals declining influence of high impact factor journals]
Vincent Larivière

The most prestigious peer-reviewed journals in the world, such as *Cell*, *
Nature*, *Science*, and the *Journal of the American Medical Association* (*
JAMA*), have less and less influence amongst scientists, according to a
paper co-authored by Vincent Larivière, a professor at the University of
Montreal's School of Library and Information Sciences. He questions the
relationship between journal "impact factor" and number of citations
subsequently received by papers. "In 1990, 45% of the top 5% most cited
articles were published in the top 5% highest impact factor journals. In
2009, this rate was only 36%," Larivière said. "This means that the most
cited articles are published less exclusively in high impact factor
journals." The proportion of these articles published in major scholarly
journals has sharply declined over the last twenty years. His study was
based on a sample of more than 820 million citations and 25 million
articles published between 1902 and 2009. The findings were published in
the *Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology*.

For each year analysed in the study, Larivière evaluated the strength of
the relationship between article citations in the two years following
publication against the journal <http://phys.org/tags/journal/> impact
factor. Then, he compared the proportion of the most cited articles
published in the highest impact factor journals. "Using various measures,
the goal was to see whether the 'predictive' power of impact factor on
citations received by articles has changed over the years," Larivière said.
"From 1902 to 1990, major findings were reported in the most prominent
journals," notes Larivière. But this relationship is less true today."

Larivière and his colleagues George Lozano and Yves Gingras of UQAM's
Observatoire des sciences et des technologies also found that the decline
in high impact factor journals began in the early 90s, when the Internet
experienced rapid growth within the scientific community. "Digital
technology <http://phys.org/tags/digital+technology/> has changed the way
researchers are informed about scientific texts. Historically, we all
subscribed to paper journals. Periodicals were the main source for
articles, and we didn't have to look outside the major journals," Larivière
noted. "Since the advent of Google Scholar, for example, the process of
searching information has completely changed. Search engines provide access
to all articles, whether or not they are published in prestigious journals."

Impact factor as a measure of a journal's influence was developed in the
1960s by Eugene Garfield, one of the founders of bibliometrics. "It is
basically the average number of times a journal's articles are cited over a
two-year period," Larivière explained. "Initially, this indicator was used
to help libraries decide which journals to subscribe to. But over time, it
began to be used to evaluate researchers and determine the value of their
publications." The importance of impact factor is so ingrained in
academia's collective consciousness that researchers themselves use impact
factor to decide which journals they will submit their articles to.