In analysis, it is important to understand what is fundamental and what is
emergent.

Are electrons fundamental or do they emerge from something more basic.

For example, the spin net model of the vacume purports to show the
derivation of photons, electrons, and U(1) gauge charge, small (relative to
the planck mass) but nonzero masses, and suggestions that the leptons,
quarks, and gluons, can be modeled in the same way. In other words,
string-net condensation provides an unification of photon and electron (or
gauge bosons and fermions). It can be viewed as an origin of light and
electron (or gauge interactions and Fermi statistics).
Under this way of thinking, an electron is a break(topological defect) in a
light string.

The string net liquid is the first medium from which the Maxwell equations
can be derived.

In condensed matter physics, a string-net is a fundamental extended object
whose collective behavior has been proposed as a physical mechanism for
topological order by Michael A. Levin and Xiao-Gang Wen