Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The cold fusion reaction must be the same for all systems if we look deep
> enough.
>

> That is absurd.
>

> There is not the least bit of evidence for that proposition. In fact, the
> evidence points to perhaps a dozen energetic reactions of hydrogen when
> loaded into condensed matter.

There may be no evidence for this, but it seems likely based on what
McKubre calls the conservation of miracles. That is to say, it is not
likely that there are many different, totally unrelated, heretofore
undiscovered ways to generate nuclear reactions in a metal lattice. It seem
intuitively likely that all of these methods are somehow related at some
level. That is not to say they all work the exact same way for all metals
and for both hydrogen and deuterium.

You can compare this to combustion, which works differently with different
materials. Sometimes it produces smoke; sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it
is rapid in an explosion, sometimes slow. As Chris Tinsley often pointed
out, taking a broader view, you can even say that metabolism is a form of
combustion. Both processes start with the same chemicals and produce the
same products, which means they produce the same amount of energy per gram
of reactant. They are different in many ways but fundamentally the same. As
is rusting or any other oxidation, I suppose.