Hi Rosemary,

I would NOT be backing up to Time Machine or any backup until you get this
sorted.

I had assumed you would NOT have anything connected to your MacBook Pro when
you were downloading the Sierra install.
And all applications had been quit before you started to download & install
Sierra?
I would suggest that something on your MBP has not allowed the 'Install macOS
Sierra’ to download and complete installation.
------
The 3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD   650.0 MB disk0s3
and /dev/disk1 (internal, virtual): MacBook Pro +499.05GB
Are both correct and should be showing

The three/dev/disk2 (disk image) Installer +41.0 MB disk2  - /dev/disk3 (disk
image) - /dev/disk4 (disk image) should NOT be showing on your Mac.
They need to be deleted from your Mac

As I mentioned previously -  "1. You need to remove any existing “Install macOS
Sierra” application from the Mac."
How to do that now? … I  would need to find time to give this more thought.
Or you could make an appointment to take your MacBook Pro to Apple or Daniel
@MacWizardry.