As a typically lazy developer, one of the things I miss the most from the Objective-C version of WebObjects was the ability to very quickly write and refine pages with WebScript, and just sit there hitting reload until I got the code right. Much, much faster than the code-compile-launch-test-stop-repeat cycle of using Java. You can kinda sorta do this using Eclipse's hot compile thing, but you can't add methods to a class or change the method signatures of existing methods, and it sometimes explodes for reasons that I can't fathom, especially when using it remotely, so I don't end up using it that much. So the recent trend towards supporting dynamic languages in the JVM is a very welcome one.
I attended a Ruby conference at Google's offices in NYC a couple of months ago and saw a pretty impressive demo of Rails running on JRuby. Seems like Sun is putting a lot of work into it, especially with regards to the performance, so hopefully in the not too distant future it will be a realistic option. Once all the kinks are worked out I imagine developing something akin to WOGroovy for JRuby would not be terribly difficult. Speaking of which, I've played around with WOGroovy and I was pretty impressed with it. After a somewhat rocky start, Groovy has become reasonably mature and WOGroovy seems to work well. It's also a relatively small project, which is reassuring. If it was some huge messy framework I would be worried about adopting it and then hitting a wall halfway through a project because of some hard to track down bug, but given it's simplicity, I think it would be fairly straightforward to track down and fix any bugs that might've been overlooked by the developer. All in all, it seems like an excellent and very useful framework. Bruce -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Damien Petrilli Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:15 AM To: WebObjects Dev Apple Subject: Re: WWDC Le 17 juin 07 à 01:02, Q a écrit : > > On 17/06/2007, at 8:45 AM, Simon McLean wrote: > >> If there is a language change in the pipeline then my money would be >> on a Ruby version of WO - now that would be interesting.. . :-) > > Ruby is SLOW, and by design it is never going to be anywhere near the > speed or scalability of java. That being the case however, with the > JVM there is nothing stopping you from using WebObjects with JRuby, > Jython, Groovy, etc. You just need to be prepared to write the extra > veneer code to make them integrate smoothly. Remember that Java wasn't fast from the beginning ? A joke: Do you know why Sun created Java ? - Because they want every processors to run as slow as an UltraSparc. Damien _______________________________________________ Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored. Webobjects-dev mailing list ([email protected]) Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription: http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/bruce%40iterative.com This email sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] _______________________________________________ Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored. Webobjects-dev mailing list ([email protected]) Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription: http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/archive%40mail-archive.com This email sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
