I probably sound like a noob, but I've been using Weewx nearly four years
with various Oregon Scientific equipment, currently a WMR200 console and
sensors that were bundled with the WMR100. I'm weary of the flaky sensors
and ready to move to something more reliable. I've read enough to
understand that Davis is the way to go, but I'd like to try to get by for
$300 or less, if there are any viable options.

I need separate sensors, not an all in one, since the rain gauge and
thermometer/hygrometer need to be in different locations. Wireless is a
necessity. And I really want something that will feed data directly to the
computer (an old MSI Wind nettop running Debian Jessie 32-bit) instead of
uploading to a distant server. For bonus points, a solution that would
allow mounting wind sensors in a location that's not easily accessible
would be ideal.

Davis Vantage Pro2 looks very enticing, but it's nearly $500, and I gather
the Weatherlink is required for interfacing with a computer, bringing the
total to around $600. Is this correct, or is there a cheaper way to get the
results I want?

I'm a bit bewildered by the options available and the hidden pitfalls.
Thanks for any serious responses!