Matthew is the real hardware expert around here, but from what I can tell,
the AcuRite seems to be the most popular of the "mid-market" weather
stations.

Get a 5-in-1, plus a console and a bridge, then connect the bridge to
WeeWX. Unfortunately it does not satisfy your requirements that the rain
gauge and outside thermometer be separate, but because it is expandable,
you could add an additional t/h sensor where you need it.

Much less expensive than the Davis units but, unfortunately, it is not in
the same league in terms of durability and accuracy.

-tk