Hello,

I am very grateful for Gerards remarks.

Sometimes I see a lot of black/white-thinking in the Wikimedia
movement, with statements such as "this is all bad" (and,
occasionally, "this is all good"). I am more comfortable with shades
of grey, they don't have to be fifty, but at least 5 or 10. On a scale
to five, the Visual Editor might have been "2" in 2013, now it looks
to me like "3" or "4". Not good enough? :-)

Some people in the movement and especially in the communities have
found their way of doing things and are happy with it, they don't want
to have anything changed and don't see the need for it. That is a
legitimate feeling and attitude, but other people allow themselves to
point out the downsides. Some find it very difficult to tolerate that,
because they don't want their world to change.

Software is not the solution for everything, but sometimes it helps to
make some things better. Wikipedia editing will always remain a hobby
for a very small part of the general population. But those people who
want to edit should at least not find technology a treshold. There are
other tresholds, such as the often lack of civility in the
communities, but that is no reason not to tackle the technological
one. (People in my classes wonder why Wikipedia editing is so
antiquated, it reminds them of Word Perfect in the 90s.)

The real question to me seems to be: who exactly should decide on what
software is implemented, what would be a practicable solution that
keeps things going and includes the stakeholders.

Kind regards
Ziko