On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Marc A. Pelletier <m...@uberbox.org> wrote:
> On 08/24/2014 11:19 PM, Pine W wrote:
>> I have
>> heard people say "don't force an interface change on me that I don't think
>> is an improvement."
>
> I do not recall a recent interface change deployment that wasn't
> accompanied with, at the very least, some method of opting out.  Did I
> miss one?

Did you try opting out of MediaViewer on the mobile version?

I think the response that I received confirmed it wasnt possible.

Per-user opt-out aside, the WMF was still forcing an interface change
onto the community at large.  With VE, the WMF needed the community to
add TemplateData to all templates to help the newbies who were using
VE; with MV, the WMF needed the community to 'tag' images which
shouldnt be shown in the MV, and there is an ongoing need for the
community to 'fix' the image page syntax in order for the information
to display correctly to the end users in MV.

In both cases, significant amounts of volunteer time is required to
avoid a bad user experience.
WMF needs 'buy-in' for that, if it wants volunteers to be happy
volunteers while doing mundane work to make the new software suck
less.

--
John Vandenberg