hi,

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Now what do we aim to achieve? Keeping you happy or making sure we have a
> public ???

simply put: both. We need readers just as much as we need the free labor of
editors/volunteers.

I don't think it makes any sense to have a discussion about the "wasted
millions". First, in software development there is always some inevitable
waste, just because of the nature of this endeavor. Second, many projects
which start with mixed reception are getting better (and I have high hope
that the visual editor is one of them!). Third, for an IT organization of
this caliber and traffic, as well as the budget, there are impressive
results in many areas (including, but not limited to, mobile website - at
least for viewers, as editing is a different story).

The real problem here, in my view, is creating an organizational framework
that will allow to incorporate the community much more into planning, early
development, alpha and beta testing, and finally implementation of all new
features and tools (in a way which does not rely on IT schedules only, but
also on feedback from the communities). It is up to WMF to create and
provide such framework, as our community as a whole does not have any
institutionalized representation or voice (which is part of the issue; one
the one hand it is easy to discard whatever people from the community say,
as they are random individuals, and on the other it must be deeply
frustrating to never be sure what the community reaction will be). Some
people are suggesting stewards as the good group to start with - I'm afraid
stewards are not the best ones to go to. Stewards act mainly as highly
trusted, experienced individuals. They do not represent their local
communities in any way. Also, they do not necessarily have the best skills
for the task, and they do not form a cooperating team, in general.

One of the unbearable signs of bureaucracy is setting up committees, but
here a volunteer-driven, democratic task force could actually make some
sense, perhaps. Look at it this way - we elect admins, crats, checkusers,
oversighters, stewards. All these roles are only technical. Perhaps at some
point we should think of community representation as well (and not in the
sense of leadership, but in the sense of liaisons, testers, people
responsible for smoother communication).

My experience within the FDC has shown that volunteer-driven bodies are
quite effective at such tasks, when provided with necessary organizational
support.

best,

dariusz "pundit"

--

prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak

członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk