Wil, the tl;dr here is "Philosophical beliefs aren't an effective
underpinning for good software design. Start over."

It's taken me a while to piece together much from the early discussions
about Flow and figure out how we got to where we are now.  It's my opinion
that the root of the problem is that, much as the WMF wants to move toward
being a "software" or "tech" organization, it really doesn't have very much
history or experience in the kind of  ground-up software design and
deployment that is conducive to successful implementation.  Tech
organizations seeking to redevelop a core function normally start by
gathering extensive data on the current system,  identifying key functions
that must be incorporated into the new system, understanding how the
current system is used, what its strengths and weaknesses are, and ensuring
that even early iterations will at least include the key functions and
strengths from the soon-to-be-deprecated system.  This baseline background
research was never really done before investing in the development of Flow.
Instead, Flow very much comes across as software being designed according
to philosophical principles rather than function.

The major deficiencies that have long been identified in the current
discussion system (and that can be addressed by technology) are all able to
be addressed in MediaWiki software or by extensions. Automatic signatures
have been done by bots for years; indenting could be added to the editing
function gadget and moved to an extension; much work has already been done
on graceful resolution of edit conflicts.  The ability to watchlist an
individual thread or section of a page is more challenging but, I have been
told, still possible.

Several of the features identified as "must-do" have turned out not to
quite work out.  Automatic signature (something that is currently
functional on Flow, but is not customizable) turns out to be more of a
challenge when users are widely known by a signature line that doesn't
match their username, and there is no method by which users can add an
"explanatory" note to their signature such as "formerly known as
User:Whatever".  The "more efficient" indenting has reduced possible
indents to three levels, without exception; even in simple discussions,
it's pretty clear that hasn't really worked out as it's often difficult to
figure out who is responding to which post.  "Rigid predictable technical
restrictions on who can edit what" has resulted in inability to remove
posts that are obviously unsuitable (there's no "undo" or "revert"
function), replaced with a "hide" function that can only be applied by
certain users that's practically a red flag for people to look-see what the
problem edit is.  With broader early discussion, some of these would
probably have been fleshed out before getting this far.

At the core is whether or not there is value in developing a "discussion
system" that is radically divorced from any other interface used by the
system.  This is a philosophical question, and doesn't actually have that
much to do with technology - and this conversation has never really taken
place anywhere but by a bunch of guys who are into making cool software
and, often as not, have little interest in the kinds of discussions that
normally occur on Wikimedia projects.  There has certainly never really
been a discussion with the broader community about what would better serve
in discussions. More importantly, some of the core assumptions and goals
upon which Flow has been built[1] have very little to do with technology at
all - plenty of research indicates that new users are driven away by the
nature of discussions rather than the technological challenges of
participation -  and the lack of active broad community consultation means
that the development team really doesn't know what's working well, what's
problematic, and what kind of efficiencies experienced users are looking
for. There's absolutely no basis to believe that Flow  is in any way likely
"to encourage [more] *meaningful conversations* that support
collaboration".  (I'd love to see what kind of metrics would be used to
assess the meaningfulness of conversations!)

And the other key issue is a complete lack of recognition that the more UIs
a new user needs to learn to develop competency, the lower the likelihood
that they'll actually be able to develop the necessary skills to become
fully functioning members of the editing community.  The Wikimedia "family"
has largely bought in to the necessity to introduce a WYSIWYG editing
interface (that would be VisualEditor), and to recognize that wikitext
editing needs to remain in existence as well.  Adding a third one whose
primary purpose will be to talk about the content being created using the
other two is counterintuitive at best.

Risker/Anne

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow