I think there have been some pretty strong indications over the years that
the current talk page system needs to be improved.  However, there's been
little discussion at all about whether Flow is that improvement.  I have
been following the development for quite a while, and it really looks like
the system was developed backwards: essential functions for effective
discussion that already exist and are used on a daily basis were not
included in the initial designs, while the design incorporated plenty of
bells and whistles that were considered desirable (although the reasons for
desirability weren't necessarily universally held or particularly clear).
This has resulted in a huge amount of re-engineering to incorporate (some
of the) needed functions , and a lot of downplaying of the feedback given
because the feedback has conflicted with the "bells and whistles" of the
original design.  There is also the fact that it would add another
completely different user interface to the editing process, which increases
barriers for existing users but even more so for new users.

In other words, the issues with Flow are so deeply rooted in its core
design and philosophy that it may not be possible to come up with a product
that is actually useful on the projects we have to replace the discussion
system we have.  It seems that the Flow team has assembled the ingredients
to make a chocolate cake with the hope that it will be a suitable
replacement for vegetable stew.

Risker/Anne