> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > IMO the WMF should stop focusing on English Wikipedia as a target
> > deploy site, and stop allowing its product management team and WMF
> > staff in general to be salesman for it - it is scaring the community
> > that all WMF staff seem to be so heavily vested in this 'product' as
> > the salvation of the wikis.
> >

> This is rank hyperbole.
>
> The MediaWiki deployment train delivers new software to all projects every
> week. One stage is to non-Wikipedia projects, which actually get new
> software *first.* Then in a second stage is for all Wikipedias
> simultaneously. So the default behavior for rollouts, if all you do is
> merge your code and wait, is that English Wikipedia gets basically no
> special treatment..[1]
>
> Now, for larger feature rollouts like VisualEditor or MediaViewer, the
> testing stage and eventual launch set their own special schedule. We have
> used English Wikipedia as a testing ground a lot in the past, which is
> natural when you consider a variety of factors.[2] That doesn't mean we
> haven't worked hard to test things out with non-English projects. Some
> examples:

I am sure you have tested things out on various wikis, but I can confirm
that seeing things been rolled out from a non-English wiki, they multiple
times look like if the English community has requested it or has been
copied from. One (large) example is the TemplateData part of the
VisualEditor which seems to us (nl-wiki) copied from the English Wikipedia,
in multiple ways. This is not how we work with templates. And I can name
many more examples.

Maybe it is not intended to adopt or specially fit with the English
Wikipedia, if I compare software changes with the English Wikipedia and
with the Dutch Wikipedia, most changes seem to fit exactly like the English
Wikipedia and not with the Dutch Wikipedia. So many times it is locally
thought and said that a change is likely "requested" by the English
community.

Not that we make such big deal of it as we are already used to it, still
this is how it is seen by at least some communities.

Romaine