On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Anthony Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > 2) Greg Kohs was banned from attending. I think that was a mistake. He is a > fierce critic of Jimmy Wales and Wikipedia. I am aware of the lines he has > crossed in the past (and the seemingly sincere apologies). Notwithstanding > those past crossed lines, and his propensity to walk very close to the edge > of propriety today, he has a valid critique and, along with those of more > temperate critics, his voice has a place in a truly comprehensive > conversation about this project. > > No one has replied to this, so I'll just say that I support the conference organizers efforts to make conference events safe and comfortable for all attendees. To me, safe is not a euphemism for censoring criticism; face to face encounters inevitably involve the exchange of personal information, and I can certainly understand why many people may hesitate to meet Greg in person for that reason. I don't know if this arrangement was contemplated for this year, but if Greg or other critics with a difficult project history want to address future conferences then perhaps the conference committee can consider broadcasting taped remarks or videoconferencing sessions. _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
