On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Samuel Klein <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris & Ellie:  I don't think I would include 'WMF Travel/Accomodation' or
> general Wikimedia PR in the Wikimania overhead.

It usually isn't but this was prepared in response to people in earlier
threads wanting to know the total WMF cost for Wikimania.  When I get the
detailed breakout for Wikimania direct expenses done, I will reformat/note
this.

>   * Staff have a budget for travel to events of all kinds; the Board has a
> budget for its meetings wherever they are held; and similarly the few
> committees that meet in person have a budget for those meetings.
>   * The fact that these things happen to take place at Wikimania is, if
> anything, a slight cost savings: some of the logistics of scheduling and
> finding venues can be shared, it allows coordinating press events, &c.
>

> Lodewijk, I agree: we should be able to find ways to limit direct
> expenses, and increase sponsorships.  We could also increase the number of
> people who benefit from scholarships, or are otherwise able to attend.
>
> Focusing on direct expenses from recent Wikimanias:
> * 2014 budget:  $250K revenue + a $150K WMF grant.  Actual: $280K revenue,
> needed $320K from WMF to cover direct expenses
> * 2015 budget:  $150K revenue + a $300K WMF grant.  Actual: $100K revenue,
> needed $380K from WMF to cover direct expenses
> * 2016 budget:  $290K? revenue

I think the Esino Lario team is projecting about $100K in other sources of
revenue (but this will be updated I'm sure since the information on the bid
is preliminary).

> + a $250K WMF grant.
>

> Itzik, what were the equivalent budgets for Haifa?  From the post-mortem
> on Meta it looks like a $280K budget, and a $100K WMF grant. This included
> paying for the event coordinator, which is now budgeted separately. That
> was for the finest event one could hope for.
>

> Lodewijk writes:
> > 'wikimania direct' is quite expensive, to be honest, and much more than
> > would have expected. However, it does include catering, which is always
> > an expensive chunk...
>
> Registration fees should at least cover the marginal cost of the event:
> catering & materials per person.

I could pitch that to WMF when we set fees/budget  for future
Wikimania's....

> > looking at these figures, I can agree that it should be possible to do it
> for
> > less, I'm less certain though whether the proposed splitting up would
> > significantly reduce the total costs for everything that is included
> here.
>
> The greater part of money spent on attending Wikimania is the
> out-of-pocket cost of flights and hotels.  The cost of this for non-local
> attendees is 10-50x the cost of registration.  Running many simultaneous
> local events has a greater total budget, if you look only at the budgets of
> the organizers; but a much lower cost per person.  There are many more
> options for free venues and low-cost lodging when you're not scrambling to
> fit 1000 people in a small region of a city.  And a smaller fraction of
> money spent goes towards jet fuel.
>
> For this reason, the same pool of scholarship funds would go farther.
>
> Finally, I don't think we should oversell the current Wikimania as a
> universal connector.  I too want there to be a community thing that
> builds interpersonal connections and is accessible to every community
> member at low cost.  But that thing cannot be a $2,000-net-cost week-long
> conference.  Many people could never attend such an event, even if it were
> free.  It is a long time commitment, and is inevitably mono or bilingual.
>
> Sam
> (who loves the current Wikimanias, and thinks they should continue! but
> doesn't think they are the pinnacle of what movement-gatherings could be)
>

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Sam Klein <sjkl...@hcs.harvard.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> That's most helpful, thank you both.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexand...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Ellie and Chris, this historical experience should be very
>>> helpful
>>> for future discussions!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Pharos
>>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Chris Schilling <
>>> cschill...@wikimedia.org>

>>> expenses

>>> the
>>> takes