On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <domedonf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anna,

> > > organization. I would love your help with that. I can do little about
> > the
> hoc
> > > and
> general
> honest.
> > > >

> > > I am not sure what you mean by "community service" here.  In the UK, it
> > is
> > > a form of punishment given to young offenders for anti-social
> > behaviour.  I
> > > assume you mean something different?
> > >

> > I definitely mean something different. Thank you for the opportunity to
> > clarify. How do we engage staff in learning to interact with our
> > communities? Where are ideal opportunities for exchange (e.g., the best
> > places to collaborate) and where is collaboration least valuable,
> > potentially even disruptive? I have no answers yet.
> >

> I had a discussion on these matters, as I recall, with Rachel di Cerbo at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Liaisons/Wikimania_2015
> which may provide you with some background.  I suggested some ideas about
> centralisation of discussions, machine-assisted tranlsation and other
> process-oriented points.

I will do a broad lit review when and if the time comes (on and off wiki).
If I do so, I will follow these links and read about this as part of that
broader lit review.

> Pulling back to a more cultural point, I woud
> identify three aspects that you might address.
>
> Staff must actually want to engage, to co-create and to acknowledge that
> the community is a partner in the entire enterprise.

Agreed. No argument.

But I'd like to expand your argument. I would like to add a perspective,
not subtract from yours. Our current communities are very seriously
important partners in the entire enterprise, as we are theirs. These days,
I am also thinking about future communities... new readers and new editors
in new geographies on new devices, and reading the thoughts of experts on
the evolution of platforms within the context of the evolving web.

I am also curious about the role of machines. Will they become an important
partner? I know that they say we will welcome our robot overlords. But I am
more interested in collaborating with them. Why can't humans and machines
collaborate toward social/educational goods?

Machine learning is all the rage these days. But to what end? The standard,
for-profit, big data play is to harvest and bottom feed a ton of data, run
it through a layered algorithm, and spit out "something something" to a
customer for a fee. I think they call it insight. I have a different
definition of insight. But hey, to each their own.

We don't have customers and we don't bottom feed. Two things I am proud of.
That is why I was so excited about ORES. An open, ethical, effective AI for
social impact that currently helps vandal fighters
<https://www.technologyreview.com/s/544036/artificial-intelligence-aims-to-make-wikipedia-friendlier-and-better/>.
More importantly, it may help with the
"revert-new-editors’-first-few-edits-and-alienate-them
problem". That's just the current capabilities of this platform.

My broader point being that I also want to think of the new stakeholders
that will join us all and how we can prepare for and welcome them into the
knowledge creating endeavor.

> Of course the
> community is not homogenous and the balance of work and responsibility is
> not identically equal in every single aspect of the enterprise.
> Nonetheless, the model of an active staff supporting and directing a
> passive community is both factually wrong and will inevitably lead to
> disaster.

I understand your point.

> One misundertood word is representation.  I believe that some staff members
> believe that they can represent the community simply by having been
> volunteers in the past, and even that they can timeshare between their
> staff and volunteer identities.  This is so far from true that it only
> needs to be articulated to be seen as incorrect – indeed, the attempt to
> split their identities may be positively dangerous to their psychological
> well-being.  The notion that only those with Wikimedia project experience
> should be hired, and that having hired such people they need no further
> contact with the community is utterly disastrous.  Those with community
> engagement responsibilities must engage, actively, and in a genuine spirit
> of enquiry.  It is not an unnecessary overhead on getting their work done,
> it is their work.

I don't know what staff members believe. I will investigate this when and
if I arrive at that stage of problem solving.  I understand your point.

> Genuine interaction on planning does not mean asking a few closed
> questions of a few community members about which of a few predetermined
> options they prefer.  It means doing a lot of work and being genuinely
> transparent. It also requires internal coordination of a kind which I do
> not always detect within the WMF.

Point taken.

> I will look into this. I will seek to understand the Tech position on three
> > questions:
> >
> >    - What do we philosophically believe: to roadmap or not to roadmap?
> >    - What do we currently have in terms of planning?
> >    - Will that change?
> >
> > I’ll get back to you. It may take me until the beginning of April. It may
> > be sooner, but I can’t promise anything sooner.
> >

> Thank you.

Thank you for so graciously accepting my time constraints. I really do
appreciate it. I don't want to let you down, but I also want to sleep and
tend to my core responsibilities.

I received another email from another lovely wiki elf explaining to me that
> > it could be seen as though I were making fun of your fictitious name. If
> it
> > came across that way, I really do apologize. That was not my intention. I
> > was not laughing at your name. What I found funny was that people had a
> > series of pronunciations that were different and yet they were all sure
> > that they were correct.
> >

> I am not at all bothered but thank you for your consideration.

Smiley face.