Actually, I had no idea it was going on until very recently. It seems the
initial communications were pretty much restricted to those already
involved in technical areas or mailing lists.

"The community", when we're talking about something that will affect
everyone, means, well, everyone who cares to participate in the discussion.
The final version should be advertised as widely as possible, and the
community (not a subset of it) should decide if it's acceptable.

The fact that some people have participated on specific parts does not
negate the need for ratification of the full and final version. Work on
individual sections hammers out what you're going to present to the
community. It does not bypass the need to actually do that.

Todd