With respect to Pine's request for more legal support to help deal with
undisclosed paid editing issues, to that I strongly agree.

To better address these concerns we need the WMF, communities, and
affiliate organizations to collaborate. It is a difficult problem to
address.

James

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:09 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tend to think along James' lines more than Risker's.
>
> Responding to Risker:
>
> It seems to me that the key point that you're missing is that Burger King
> altered Wikipedia content in order to execute this campaign. This wasn't a
> simple case of an organization reusing existing Wikipedia content; the
> organization appears to have altered Wikipedia content to suit their
> purposes regardless of an obvious conflict of interest with Wikipedia's
> purpose of being an educational resource rather than an advertising
> platform.
>
> It seems to me that entities of varying sizes -- from a start-up brand that
> wants to make itself look important by having a Wikipedia article, to large
> corporations and government officials -- will continue to alter Wikipedia
> content in ways that are inappropriate and do a disservice to our readers
> (including advertising, inserting "alternative facts" for medical and
> political content, and eliminating negative information that certain people
> and organizations find inconvenient) and cost editors' and administrators'
> collective time and attention, until there is a financial price that is put
> on this kind of behavior that is large enough to deter them. I don't see
> why we should stand idly by as our products' quality and trustworthiness
> are degraded and our resources are diverted. I'm hoping that WMF's
> enforcement actions in this domain would more than pay for themselves
> through financial penalties that WMF extracts from the wrongdoers.
>
> Pine

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine