Hi James,

Towards the end of the process, and I will admit I was guilty of this as well,
we have been so demotivated by the process that we felt it wasn’t worth it to
continue communicating with the Affiliations Committee further.

Over the last year, we had been working to return to compliance.  These
included adopting new processes to automate old manual ones, completing overdue
financial reports, and pursing other changes that were asked of us.  We had a
deadline, and we have completed as much of it as we could, but ultimately there
were items that we didn’t complete by that deadline, either because we couldn’t
(government bureaucracy for much of it), or because we felt that given our
capacity the deadline was overly ambitious.  We accept responsibility for that.
 However, despite our efforts, it was decided that we should lose chapter
status.

I will admit that we haven’t had the best communication record with the
Foundation and the Committee, fine.  But we tried to do what they asked anyway.
 We didn’t decide to disband like Wikimedia Hong Kong, and the decision
basically said that our efforts are all for naught.  That’s where it became
increasingly difficult for us who want to keep going at WMPH to get the chapter
moving on these things.

So far, we’re sticking around and still working to return to compliance.  But
this is something we’re all disappointed over.  As for me personally, having
dedicated so much of my life to building the chapter and the community here in
the Philippines at large, I don’t know how to process what’s going on, since
it’s as if everything I’ve built is for naught.

Thanks,

Josh