Heh, I remember Mr Wales asking what could the movement do with a million
dollars some time around 2006. Is anything on the horizon?

What could we do? Many things; one of them would be to get our act together
and become a true leader in software and content localization. Currently we
are proud about maintaining MediaWiki, a piece of software that is probably
translated to more languages than any other, and that is great, but:

1. Our software localization tooling, excellent as it is, didn't become the
industry standard, even though it could with better packaging. Why is it
important? Because a Wikipedia in a given language doesn't exist in
isolation—it exists in an environment of other programs, sites, platforms,
and media. There was a (relatively) thriving software localization
community in the Catalan language already in the 1990s (!), so it's not
surprising that Catalan Wikipedia was the first to start after English, and
is among the most successful Wikimedia projects now. Making software
localization better for everybody will bring computer usage to the whole
world, and we can be the leaders in it, rather than leaving it to the
corporations.
2. We have the theoretical ability to write articles in any language of the
world, but not everybody actually does it. Some language communities need
stronger nudges than others to get going: Training about translation and
scientific writing, developing terminology, developing spelling
dictionaries, developing keyboards that allow convenient typing, literacy
programs, etc. In a lot of languages the Bible is the only published book;
this happened thanks to donations from people who want to spread their
religion around the world. If it can be done with the Bible, it can be done
with an encyclopedia.
3. We are influencing public policy in the area of copyright law, but we
should be influencing public policy around the whole world to make
localized computing and content more accessible. Lobbying needs resources.
See
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Cycle_2/A_Truly_Global_Movement#Governments_and_computer_vendors:_Accessibility_to_localization_technology

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,