One billion dollars, judiciously invested, is an income of present-day
value around 20 to 30 million dollars a year for ever.  That would buy any
of the following

* One reasonably expensive book per month for every one of the 30,000 most
active content contributors for ever
* 300 full-time permanent employees -- programmers, fact-checkers,
old-style editors, translators, innovators, researchers
* 200 ongoing Ph.D-level research projects in data science, knowledge
management, knowledge delivery, artificial intelligence, machine translation
* Fully-paid bursaries to Wikimania every year for ten people from each of
the 250 largest projects;
* JSTOR subscription for ever for the 30,000 most active content
contributors;
* Local travel bursaries to Wikimedia meetups and conferences for everyone
who ever contributes to the project;

HTH
"Rogol"