I am very happy to follow this thread as I believe it is addressing a very relevant issue.

In my mind we can divide up the different language version into 5 categories:

1.Enwp,

2.the next 6-7 (de,fr, es,jp,pt,ru..)

3.the next 20 or so, where the basic workprocesses are applied

4.the next 40-50 which are struggling to generate more input then what is vandalised

5.the rest which in reality is no viable online encyclopedias

And for me no 1 priority is to accept that there are these categories, and that what is applicable for cat 1 and 2 is not so for 4 and 5.

I believe the grant model could easily make room for subsiding good initiatives addressing the problem for cat 4 and 5 (and perhaps 3).

And I think it is very presumptuous to start talking of what technique to use and things like translation. If we open up for creative brainstorming (among the ones having the need) I think very many other ways can turn up. Myself I am deeply impressed what you can create using Wikidata as a base source of info, and being from a version of type 3 I see how much my homeversion improve content with wikidata created infoboxes

Anders