Hi all,

I think that Tomasz and Paulo have made two excellent points. Firstly,
Wikimedia Commons is a project on its own with a community that deserves
full respect and not just a storage of files that acts as a cloud service
to Wikipedia. Secondly, there is evident stagnation and even decline in the
on-wiki communities on the account of the expansion of the off-wiki
activities.

The problem here that almost all have pointed out is the enormous increase
of content compared to the fairly stagnant community growth. My impression
is that this is being allowed by the affiliates themselves when reaching
out to new partners and massively adding content with unchecked licencing
without caring much about the size of the on-wiki community that has to
deal with it. So, an ideal scenario would be to see affiliates not only
delivering new content but also contributing to community growth. As things
stand, the content growth at the current rates will make things impossible
to maintain by human hand, thus inviting the development of highly
sophisticated technology that needs to be integrated at a very high price.

In sum, the solution is either the development of new technology or
instructing the affiliates to grow the community while engaging in
collaborations that result in mass uploads.

Best,
Kiril