On 08/06/18 09:29, Gergo Tisza wrote:
... I'm sure you
wouldn't act (inside or outside Wikimedia technical spaces) in ways
inconsistent with the spirit of the code of conduct anyway, but this was a
silly fight to pick and I hope you'll reconsider (or if you have pragmatic
reasons for not wanting the file, you'll explain those).

The CoC does not apply to contributors outside of Wikimedia itself. A repository that happens to be hosted by Wikimedia is not exclusive to Wikimedia, and a file like this can cause confusion among contributors/users elsewhere. This is a pragmatic reason for not having it, especially when these repositories are primarily created for these external contributors/users.

But this is backwards - the default state was not having it in the repositories. Changing that (across the board) was what should have required justification, not going back. And given that it doesn't even affect whether or not the CoC applies if the file is there or not, what even is the point of all this?

Frankly the harsh response from proponents and handling here, to the point of bypassing normal processes and misusing rights to enforce something that was never even decided as a community, seems completely at odds with the spirit and intent of the CoC in the first place. If we're trying to make contributors feel welcome, this is if anything doing the exact opposite.

-I