> Frankly the harsh response from proponents and handling here, to the
> point of bypassing normal processes and misusing rights to enforce
> something that was never even decided as a community, seems completely
> at odds with the spirit and intent of the CoC in the first place. If
> we're trying to make contributors feel welcome, this is if anything
> doing the exact opposite.

This!

It is not the first time that individual developers have misused their +2
rights to sidestep community processes and enforce their political views. It is
this kind of repeated overreach and casual disregard for the wishes and
opinions of the repo owner that makes people choose GitHub over Gerrit.

It is a pity that there is even a need for a CoC, but I am more than happy to
have one if it helps to make people feel more comfortable. But insinuating that
not wanting that file in each and every repo would imply disagreement with the
code itself is not only insulting, it has a chilling effect on the
communication here. And by now, since this has happened and has been called out
repeatedly in this discussion, I consider it intentional.

The whole issue is another nice demonstration of why "benevolent" dictatorship
and decisions taken "for your own good" do not work.

Incidentally, what is the procedure to request removal of +2 rights for
somebody on my extension repo?

Stephan