"tracked" does not mean someone is planning to work on it. This could be
for a lot of reasons, maybe the bug is unclear, maybe its not obvious what
a good way to fix is, maybe nobody cares (This sounds harsh, but the simple
truth is, different things have different people caring about them, and
some parts just don't have anyone).

This is not really a paid vs unpaid thing. Volunteer projects have a big
backlog of bugs. Commercial projects also have a backlog or things they
just don't intend to fix (although usually big commercial projects keep the
list of bug reports secret).

I really think its no different from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Backlog isn't getting any smaller.
That's just the natural way of things. Its a bit easier to yell {{sofixit}}
on wiki than it is to yell it about technical tasks, as technical stuff by
their very nature require specialized knowledge (Although i would argue
that lots of tasks on wiki also require specialized knowledge). At the end
of the day, to get a task fixed, someone who knows how to do it (Or is
willing to learn how to do it) needs to be interested in doing it.

--
Brian