I agree with the all-or-nothing stance. Better to have nothing than to have
mediocrity, which frustrates users as mentioned. If nothing, at least have a
design and wiring ready. Then buy APs and switches/blades when ready to commit.

We’re just beginning to talk about upgrading wireless in the main performing
arts theater, which now has good coverage but not density, at the request of
its manager. Yes, people should be paying attention to the performance, but
that’s not the only thing the space is used for, plus I’ve personally
experienced decent WiFi speed during a performance, but then everyone tries to
use WiFi during intermission and it becomes useless.

Someone mentioned working with the sound engineers in the theater. Absolutely!
Over the summer, we were asked to disable WiFi in the theater entirely because
it was causing popping sounds over the headset system. Sure enough, the
documentation of their system (HME Clear-Com DX – I have a PDF on this if
anyone’s interested) states that it uses “Spectrum Friendly Mode” (ha!)
utilizing either the high end or the low end of the 2.4-2.8GHz band, basically
leaving us only either channel 1 or 11 to use for coexistence. We turned off
2.4 GHz in the whole building and their issues reportedly went away, but the
theater manager has since told us to turn it back on and we haven’t heard about
it since.
Eric Glinsky
Network Technician
University of Connecticut
ITS – Network Operations
Temporary Administration Building
25 Gampel Service Drive | Storrs, CT 06269-1138
(860) 486-9199
e...@uconn.edu<mailto:e...@uconn.edu>