I would have to agree. Any "new" spectrum would be "taxable". I would be ok with that, if it meant new spectrum.

Travis
Microserv

John Scrivner wrote:

If I read this right it does not specifically mention unlicensed spectrum but does refer to spectrum not already auctioned which could mean whitespace. We probably have a chance to spin this to our advantage unless you guys all would rather just bitch and moan.
Scriv

Bob Moldashel wrote:

Interesting how the 5 Ghz spectrum gets resolved right after they come up with the taxing idea. And one needs to wonder who came up with the great idea of taxing unlicensed spectrum. It surely wasn't George hyimself.....

-B-

Brian Webster wrote:

Well, it does not surprise me that the government has decided to tax the unlicensed spectrum. Today the Bush administration announced a plan to tax Wi-Fi and other unlicensed spectrum. It is not clear how they will do it yet but the process is in motion. That's the bad news, the good news is they reached agreement on the 5.4 GHz spectrum and that should become available once equipment gets certified. Check the RCR news site for the full stories. Oh well, I suspected that it would not last forever the truly free use of
the spectrum.

http://www.rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=25545
http://www.rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=25539

Thank You,