From: John Scrivner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:31 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] This is HUGE!

The point is we have a well known, if not largely credible source, who
has just released a report that says we (Fixed Wireless Broadband
Providers) are serving the broadband needs of approximately 8% of US
home users. We obviously have been completely ignored in other reports
and surveys so for once it is nice to see us represented in some
statistically important degree. I am not really that concerned about the
exact number of customers. It is just nice to see us making the report
in some meaningful way.
Scriv

David E. Smith wrote:

>John Scrivner wrote:
>

>>Check this out from the Pew report. It appears that fixed wireless is much

>>bigger than what even I thought. According to this report 8% of all
broadband
>>connections in the US are delivered via fixed broadband wireless.
>>

>Ouch. That study looks to be horribly methodologically flawed.
>
>(It's at http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_Broadband_trends2006.pdf if
>you're interested.)
>
>Their survey required the responders to know what they were talking
>about -- if you have DSL, but a wireless router/access point, and you're
>not all that technically competent, you may well say your laptop has
>"wireless" Internet access when that's not quite what they intended.
>
>Here's the question they asked:
>

>>Does the computer you use at home connect to the internet through a
>>dial-up telephone line, or do you have some other type of connection,
>>such as a DSL-enabled phone line, a cable TV modem, a wireless
>>connection, or a T-1 or fiber optic connection?
>>

>That question gives me a headache, and I'd like to think I do know what
>I'm talking about most of the time.
>
>Note that their survey only had about 1500 Internet-using responders,
>which is juuuust barely enough to be considered a statistically valid
>sample for a population of a couple hundred million. (Their methodology
>is a bit vague on whether they're sampling all Americans, or just
>adults, or...)
>
>Don't get me wrong; it's an exciting quote. I just hope everyone takes
>it with the proper perspective, and realizes that it's probably "high"
>by some unknowable order of magnitude.
>
>David Smith
>MVN.net

********