----- Original Message -----
From: "George Rogato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Why's WISPA silent about this?

> Mark
> I didn't realize you were "persona non grata" with wispa. It's the first
> that I have heard this.
>
> I do think that you do have a radical political belief and I think that
> the wireless lists are generally not interested in discussing politics
> because it is so divisive.

If "radical" is defined as "get the government out of my business, where it
has no business sticking its nose", then I suppose I'm "radical".

In which case, I'm proudly "radical".   As you have seen, I really do not
come to any of the lists besides the now gone "isp-chat" to just harp
politics, but instead to discuss how politics business do intersect.

I don't think a single member of WISPA, including the board, falls
completely outside of the "entrepreneur" lable, and as such, our first
priority should be to retain the freedom to BE one.   And secondly, as
Americans, I don't think it is even political - well, not partisan, at
least - that we should defend our privacy,  and push back against the
excesses of political types in power.   That's just a given, one of those
"it will never change" types of things.   I was livid when someone I thought
shared these views had taken upon themselves to encourage the federal
government TO stick its nose into and regulate my business.   And it seems
almost nobody is arguing back.

Did anyone notice that the ACLU hasn't peeped a negative word against
requiring the logging of all internet use by individuals?   We're on our
own, as individuals, as citizens, as entrepreneurs, it seems.    Now, WISPA
should not get into partisan lobbying or take partisan sides, or make
partisan arguments.   But it does seem to me that offically, we should have
a statement that says that WISPA, an association of ISP's, believes that
proposal X is wrong, is excessively intrusive, and so on and so forth.
And, whatever WISPA does say should be consistent from issue to issue.
Even a short discussion about the impacts of such mandates would be helpful.
What about security of those logs?   What is our liability for keeping them,
what is our liability if someone manages to get into them and steals
something valuable?    These issues are the HEART of what an ISP association
is for...  IMO.

Does WISPA have money to lobby Congress?  Nope.   But just a short note to
the membership, naming the appropriate people to contact, could be really
helpful for those of us who regularly communicate with our customers.
Yeah, I'd like to notify them what the feds want me to do - and whose phone
lines to burn up telling them to get lost.

Let's just say I won't go quietly.   People gave lives to secure liberties
for me.   We should not dismiss them so easily.

> But, if you or any other member of wispa want to create a topic specific
> work group that's goal is to better our industry, you step forward off
> list to me with your idea and I will present it to the board for
> approval of a separate email list.
> But keep in mind, we do not want another ISP-Chat with all that went
> with it. This association is not created for the reds to lob mickeys at
> the blues and visa versa or to impose their political beliefs on others.
>
> It has to be a wisp centric discussion with a goal of impacting change
> and benefit to our member wisps and the industry in general.
>
> sincerely
>
> George

Appreciated, George... maybe someone who can will be interested in doing so.

North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!
-