Here is an idea for a federal policy plan to end the broadband access problems. How about Base Station Licenses instead of 10,000 square mile licenses like we do now. Anyone could buy a Base Station License. Heaven forbid a regular person should be allowed to compete with a Megasuck.net RBOC! Someday I will share with all of you what it is like to be part of the license auction system as I just went through in the AWS auction. Root canals are more fun.
Scriv

Mark Koskenmaki wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Lack of Competition

It is a lack of federal policy. Every nation that has a federal policy
on teelcom/BB/internet has strong penetration and competition - and
cheaper rates. Granted there are lots of debates about why some
countries are cheaper, and have more users, but the fact remains that
the FCC has failed - FAILED - in its charge of ensuring competition and
upholding the Telecom Act of 1996. Heck, they don't even enforce merger
requirements nor spectrum purchase requirements.

Without a clear plan, laser focus, and habitual execution, you usually
have failure.

The notion that the federal government can actually create a policy or
program to provide something that is better than free enterprise is absurd
on it's face, and evidence suggests that is the worst possible means of
attempting to do anything.

I will agree that  there have been a lot of federal failures, but they
relate to over-regulation, the creation of monopolies, and a failure at
being good stewards of the public trust.   Add this all up, and you have to
wonder why on earth people think the federal government should EVER be
considered as being responsible for much of anything in our daily lives.

- Peter

Mark Koskenmaki wrote:

I can't believe that someone would be dumb enough to write this...  The
biggest problem is a lack of FEDERAL POLICY????

Oh, please.   Spare us the insane idiocy...