Hmmm.. I think they DO charge the recipient of the cell call. Even if its a land line, the recipient does have to pay for service, even if it is a "unlimited minutes" plan. Nobody has FREE phone service. Someone pays for the dial tone, even if its VOIP. The telephone system kind of IS the original INTER(national)NET(work) just that it was in place before everyone out there was trying to hook up a computer and send each other video clips of chimpanzees lip-syncing Sonny and Cher songs. The nice thing as a provider (of the phone or the internet, or both) is that whether your customer is sending bits (or voice) or whether the customer is receiving, they are still paying you. Peering agreements between tier 1 providers only make their network better. AT&T knows that if they can't get my bits to connect to websites hosted on Sprint lines, then I will find an upstream who will. Same thing if I am a hosting company. If I host using a Verizon upstream, and L3 customers cannot connect to my server, then VZ will get the boot. Same analogy applies to phones. If my Sprint phone in Texas couldn't connect me to a Verizon subscriber in West Virginia, and Sprint said it was because they couldn't get a peering agreement with Verizon, then I would discontinue the peering agreement between Sprint and my checkbook. On the other hand, as a provider, I do have the ability to give access to only my subscribers for certain perks. Some cell providers offer "free" mobile to mobile calling. And why not? This gets them loyalty to both customers. Other ISPs offer "exclusive content" (AOL, YahooDSL, etc). The "exclusive" video clips available offered by cell providers is a war going on now that I don't really understand, but if it brings in the customers, then good for them.

If you cannot offer something more than the competitor, then you are just another ISP. To stand out from the competition, you need to offer something. Speed, reliability, security, exclusive content, price, availability to connectivity when the customer lives 14 miles out of the city limits, or whatever.

Pete Davis
NoDial.net

Sam Tetherow wrote:
The cell phone analogy is a bit off target though, unless you want to charge the recipient of the cell call.

The peering wars pretty much died in 95 when the fledgling internet business wouldn't tolerate it then. I highly doubt that it would put up with it now. If AT&T, VZ, L3 & GX/XO/Gogent/other want/need more revenue for their pipes, they will charge more.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

Peter R. wrote:
Think about your cell phone. Do you get access to the entire Net or only some of it? Think about EVDO. Is it truly unlimited or are there rules and enforcement? It is not inconceivable that VZ and AT&T would design a Prodigy type service and call it the Internet.

Personally, I would like to see a Truth in Advertising type law in effect in place of NN, but it is conceivable that to get access to all eyeballs you may have to buy 3 or 4 feeds - AT&T, VZ, L3 & GX/XO/Cogent/other.

If peering changes, the ripple effect would be crazy. Most carriers don't have the margin to change from peering to transit.

It isn't any one single thing happening that worries me, it is the conflugence of so many things happening at the same time.

- Peter

Sam Tetherow wrote:

Ain't going to happen, Net Neutrality is another y2k, all hype, little to no substance.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless