What about using external antennas? Doesn't that require FCC certification? I agree with everything you have said below with the exception of use of external antennas and amplifiers of course. I thought you needed a FCC system certification for systems made up of a radio and external pigtails, cables, antennas, etc. I like this discussion. We need to get to the heart of the legality issues of the equipment and systems we use. I would like to be 100% legal in all I do.
Scriv

Rich Comroe wrote:

I worked for a manufacturer that certified product with the FCC.  The legality
issue for FCC type acceptance can be argued in certain circumstances.  Truth
is, we didn't re-apply for FCC type acceptance every time we changed a resistor
value or made some board change or modified the software.  It's arguable that
the need for FCC type acceptance is only required when a change in the product
alters the rf modulation.  When it was clear to us that it did, we'd re-apply
for FCC type acceptance.

If someone puts an FCC type accepted radio card into box with a single board
computer combined with some OS on the SBC, I'm not sure there's any legality issue
as far as the FCC is concerned.  I think the question is whether there's anything
in the SBC & external software that's changed the rf characteristics of the
radio card that's already been FCC type accepted.  If not ... why is it illegal?

Rich
----- Original Message ----- From: Tom DeReggi To: WISPA General List Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 9:44 AM
 Subject: Re: [WISPA] StarOS or Microtik with TRCPQ clients...

 Lonnie,

Patrick has a valid point. Truthfully, its getting close to that time that there isn't a reason not to get certified. The 533 Gateworks boards, atheros chipset cards, are getting to be pretty standard products, with consistent availabilty, that meet just about any need. Thats much different than 2 years ago, when who knew what hardware would be used daily. Why not get them certified with the Rootenna product, and then use the new FCC relaxed equivellent antenna rules, to list additional equivellent antenna? I bet you could even get the cost covered by your buyers, if you took up a collection.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lonnie Nunweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>