----- Original Message ----- From: "Dawn DiPietro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Muni networks, the good, bad and ugly

Marlon,

Comments inline.

There is some important info missing here.

How many are actually running. What do they cost? How much do they generate/save?

How many are under construction?

How many are still in the planning stages?

Calling the planning stage deployments, deployments seems less than genuine to me. I'm always told that my potential customer base counts for very little, it's only my actual customers that matter. At least to the bankers :-).

I guess you missed this link on the page above the summary table.
http://www.muniwireless.com/reports/docs/Dec-29-2006summary.pdf

Yeppers, I missed that.

But if you are really interested to find out more detailed information you will need to read more. There are many case studies on the site click a link or two and you may learn a thing or two about municipal networks.

I learned today that I already have a few municipal networks myself! Much like the Earthlink/SanFran network will be.

Privately funded, open to competitors, uses city facilites, city gets free services, covers 100% of the community. Hmmm, sounds like what I've been doing here for half a decade now!

Ralph, stick up for me here....  grin

Jeff just said that he saw something like 200 ap's from ONE building the other day. Were any of those commercial providers? Why, one must ask, is the city (I'm assuming it was a city) putting a network into the area?

Why would you assume it was the city? The announcement was made on Friday and published on Monday. There would not be a single AP put up yet.
Here is another link you might be interested in reading.
http://muniwireless.com/municipal/1570

Interesting. Only 7500 b/g ap's in 50 square miles. Anyone care to run the radio mobile map of that? hehehehe At least they should almost all be indoors. But that's still 150 ap's per square mile!!!! Yikes. That does NOT count microwave ovens, non wifi devices, phones, cameras etc. etc. etc.

I tought it interesting that they say that there are already so many networks already in the area. But go ahead, build another one anyway!

Regards,
Dawn DiPietro