Replies below:

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Chuck McCown - 3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Canopy is outdoor.

And many have done quite well with is. I have some in my own network
now. I will likely deploy more of this myself where it makes sense.

> I don't want interop as I want to control users to my system.

I think you may misunderstand what I mean by interoperability. I am
speaking in terms of vendor equipment interoperability. This is one of
the few advantages WiFi has over most other WISP systems. WiMax
requires strict interoperability testing between vendors to make sure
all CPE and Base Stations work together seamlessly. That means
economies of scale and comfort in not being locked to one vendor into
the future.

> The coverage, range, throughput has been totally smoke to date.  I am still
> waiting for 70 Mbps at 70 miles PTMP.

Everyone has admitted this was early hype.  I did not use those
figures as justification for use of WiMax in 3.65 GHz.

> We don't roam, allow roaming or want to allow roaming.

It is an option, not a mandate. Mobility usually necessitates roaming
if you want your customers to buy your solution over others. I want to
be part of the mobile data market and feel roaming opportunities are
important for this. I also believe mobile voice will become simply an
application of mobile data as a SIP session within a WiMax or LTE
network. ASN gateways support handoff of mobile IP sessions making all
this possible. I would like to be part of this migration in the future
to support mobile voice using my network. Only WiMax offers this
upgrade path to allow my WISP to be part of the mobile phone industry.
Only 3.65 GHz offers us the chance for all WISPs to build these high
end networks and bridge into the other licensed bands through ASN
gateways. We need to build this bridge if we want our networks to work
with all the portable devices to be built in 5 years. WiMax will be
supported in cameras, PDAs, cell phones, notebooks, GPS navigation
unis, etc. I want my network to be able to connect these devices.

> We don't operate in areas where ITU is a concern.

If you want to be part of the mobile phone industry going forward then
ITU support is mandatory. This is the seal of approval to use this
platform for mobile voice. It was necessary for those of us who want a
piece of the multi-billion mobile phone market going forward.

> Our systems are very automated....

I have much respect for Canopy as a platform for wireless broadband
delivery in unlicensed bands. In 3.65 GHz I happen to believe that
WiMax is the platform that the entire WISP industry should support. I
am sure Motorola has WiMax equipment ready to launch in 3.65 GHz. I
would hope they would integrate that into your Canopy management
platform to allow this to become an extension of the system that you
and many other successful Canopy operators are already using.  I have
little doubt that this could be achieved to match the automated
processes you already use in your network now.

> I just don't see how any purported WiMax system is better in any way for my
> Canopy based WISP.

I think it should be an added tool. Not something to replace what you
have. I am not planning to remove anything in my network when I deploy
WiMax in 3.65 GHz. My entire position here is strictly related to 3.65
GHz and I have no desire to push any technology or vendor over another
in the other existing bands. In 3.65 GHz we have a unique opportunity
that WiMax affords which no other platform does.
Scriv