And don't forget the disposal costs of batteries when they are no longer functional. Telephone companies have an extensive HAZMAT documentation and chain of custody requirement for their switch batteries. Don't think this industry will get away with not having some requirement like that for long :-)

Thank You,

Thank You,
Brian Webster

Tom DeReggi wrote:
Patrick,

In general, sounds like good advice.

To clarify our intent, in posting.....

>From yr 2000-2008, our model was to....

1) Have minimum 12 hour run-time of battery for core cell sites.
2) Have contingency plan for hooking up a mobile gasoline powered generator,
in longer lasting Emergencies.
    (We have a couple hot spare generators)

Why are we changing our view point?

1) Many of the batteries have now died, and need replaced. Batteries are
still very expensive. Propaine Generators have come way down in price (aka
Generac) In most case, the generator will be less expensive than the
batteries, based on watt load at the sites.

2) Our network has grown, but our staff size has shrunk. We realize the
challenge that more than one site can loose power at once, and harder to get
to multiple locations at once with generators.
    Its hard to know when batteries will hold or not, when towards the end
of their life, so its always a rush with the genrators. 9/10 cases by the
time we get generators onsite, the power gets restored within minutes.

3)  Its easy to throw a generator on a Grant Application :-)

We believe permanent onsite generators would likely increase uptime, and not
necessarilly be more expensive, for some of our sites. (We'd of course still
keep some patteries inline) The question is whether it will be more hassle
than we realize to re-fill them and inspect them. Some people told me
quarterly inspections are needed, or sometimes they do not start when
needed.

We are already connected to building generators, where we were allowed to,
so we are looking at sites where our only option was to put in our own.
I'm still uncertain what objections or preferences property management would
have for this type stuff.  For example, whether they would be concerned
about it blowing up if a gas leak occured.

I actually have one building in mind wher egetting a new electrical
connector from the roof to the ground would be really a big pain. Would
require Xray and drilling every floor of 20.
There I'd like to put a roof mounted propaine generator. I was thinking
maybe the best option is to just have a small external tank, and swap the
tank after use?

I would think where there is pre-existing riser space, I'd want to mount on
ground level, and run thick gauge AC wire up.

Mostly I was wondering if management companies look for specific features
for the device, or if Generac would offer all standard features to meet the
requirements of code and property managers.

For our smaller watt sites, we'd of course stick with batteries.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband