I know they have business partners that handle the MDU / planned
community sort of things, and they definitely have the equipment to make
it work.

However, if you want to transmit television over/under public
property/ROW such as public roads or off your private property, you are
a cable provider. You then have to be a registered cable company and
meet local franchise requirements (such as coverage requirements,
franchies fees, PEG channels), or an Open Video provider (as described
by the FCC) and be subject to the conditions of that type of business.
Something like HITS (headend in the sky) is often used for smaller cable
systems. I'm sure there are some others as well.

I have reason to believe the sat companies will not provide the channels
or gear to you if you appear to be doing the TV content distribution
business outside of the law.

We're setup as a DirecTV dealer in addition to our ISP business. We like
their TV technology ourselves, and we like helping people get away from
TimeWarner/Roadrunner. We also get a sales commision and are compensated
for the installs. We're not selling a ton yet, as it's a fairly complex
mix of options and we're still getting up to speed.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:19:07AM -0400, Robert West wrote:
> Never thought of that.  Anyone else doing this?  I'm not up to doing this
> yet but always planning ahead, maybe in 6 to 12 months.

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/