OK, in light of that.  Have you run the calculations on what a 1 meg, 3 meg
and 6 meg stream will use?

Remember to count BOTH directions.  Our average user is about 8x down vs.
up.  So a 3 meg incoming video stream also contains what, about 375k of
outbound too.

As I recall, when I figured our overage plan out back in 1999 (yeah, that's
when WE made this decision) it was determined that a t-1 running full out
both ways would be able to transfer about 8TB of data.  I'm not sure that's
right though.

Last month we averaged 4.67MBps in and 1.04MBps out at our Ephrata POP.  In
Odessa it was 3.09MBps in and .5184MBps out (Ephrata has all of the
servers).

That's a total system wide AVERAGE usage of 7.76 in and 1.5584 out.  Our
total BYTES in was 1.49 TB in and .33132 TB out.  1.81 TB total.

Either the original math was wrong or there can be a LARGE disconnect
between average speeds and actual amount of data transferred.

Just for kicks lets try it this way.  According to a google search there are
2,628,000 seconds in a month.  A t-1 can move 192 bytes per second.  I make
that out to be 504,576,000 Bytes per month one way.  Double it for symmetric
service and you get 1,009,152,000 about 1 TB per month if running full out.

Clearly there can be a disconnect between the SPEEDS people get and the DATA
they consume.  Go figure.

Either way, it takes x amount of hardware to deliver x amount of data to
people.  We are constantly upgrading our gear so that it'll run just as fast
as it can go.  We have no pre-built tiers of service.  Everything runs wide
open.  People place themselves into the tiers with their overages (a few
business accounts are exceptions to this rule).  We only have to bill
overages on about 10% of our customer base per month.  And it's rarely the
same 10%.  There are those that always go over and expect the overage bill
but I think that's only about 5% or so of our customer base (I'd have to ask
Apryl to be sure if anyone cares that much).

Laters,
marlon