On 1/12/09 2:20 AM, "michael.brocking...@bt.com"
<michael.brocking...@bt.com> wrote:
> Quote:" The fact is that many educators have found that they can use
> Flash to teach their students effectively."
>
> I think you (and those teachers that you refer to) are mistaking an
> effective lesson, for effective teaching.*
[...]
> * It may be easier to teach people to use Flash to get a particular
> result, but at the end of the day they have not learned what they need
> to know, which is that "Flash is Evil".

If "evil" is all you have to say about Flash, then there's not much that can
be said. It's clearly not worth taking a reasoned approach to convince you
that it has merit as a classroom tool, despite the thousands of teachers and
millions of students using it.

> Also, I think you mis-understand where the problem lies. Because of the
> way that Flash works, almost all of it is inaccessible to assistive
> technology.

I have to challenge that assertion, as the engineer who's principally
responsible for improving the accessibility of Flash. Having followed Flash
accessibility since it was first introduced (in 2002), I can tell you that
it has improved dramatically since that time, to the extent that I'd argue
accessible RIA development in Flash today is more efficient (and definitely
better-supported) than the same work done in Ajax.

ARIA will help Ajax get to where we are today, but then Ajax authors will be
in the same situation: most of them failing, usually unconsciously, to
produce accessible applications by default. When that's the case, will you
blame Ajax, or its frameworks, or the individual authors? Will Ajax be evil?

> Adobe could do a better job, the makers of assistive
> technology could do a better job

Great. I'm all ears. What should we do? So far, the impression that I get is
that we should give up. Flash being evil and all. But since we continue to
improve our accessibility, please feel free to send me your ideas.

> but there is very little that the man in the middle can do

This is the heart of the matter. It's just not true. Flash authors can do a
lot to be directly accessible to assistive technology. And bringing it all
back to the original message here, that's what BCAT's developers are trying
to do. What's wrong with more people producing more accessible Flash
content, other than you disliking Flash?

-