It could be a considerable amount Joe, Some countries in region 1 are small.
I Europe you can easily drive thru 5 countries in a day, And if you are in the
Balkans area you can
do it in half a day.
For VHF its very common for high ground suitable for contest operation to be
just over the border.
to give you an idea, it would be the same as any US hams having to put the
state prefix in font of
their callsign if operating outside of the home state.
Richard g8jvm

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:44:00 -0400
Joe Taylor <j...@princeton.edu> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> On 7/28/2017 3:37 PM, Ian G0FCT wrote:
> > I think there is need to handle compound callsigns such as ZA/PA9XYX,
> > these call signs are common in Region 1.
>
> Of course I know such callsigns are in use.  The gist of my question was
> to ask "how many"?  If you work 500 stations in a Region 1 VHF+ contest,
> would there be one or two?  Ten?  More?
>
> > Also, there is a need in Region 1 VHF+ contests to exchange 6 character
> > locators (e.g. IO91OJ) rather than just 4 character locators. Is this
> > possible?
>
> That was the main topic of my original message.  Did you read it??  See
> below.
>       -- Joe, K1JT
>
> > On 28 July 2017 at 20:17, Joe Taylor <j...@princeton.edu
> > <mailto:j...@princeton.edu>> wrote:
> >
> >     One additional question I should have asked.
> >
> >     If you think FT8 might get appreciable use in Region 1 VHF+
> >     contests, would there be significant need for handling compound
> >     callsigns such as ZA/PA9XYZ, etc.?
> >
> >              -- Joe, K1JT
> >

> >     On 7/28/2017 2:49 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
> >
> >         Hi Palle (and other VHF+ contest enthusiasts in IARU Regioin 1),
> >
> >         Thanks for the suggestions you posted to wsjt-devel concerning
> >         VHF+ contest exchanges in EU.
> >
> >         I have been sketching out some possible enhanced 75-bit message
> >         structures for FT8 mode aimed (among other things) at supporting
> >         your Region 1 contests.
> >
> >         I would appreciate your comments on the following model contest
> >         QSO structure based roughly on common HF contest practices:
> >
> >         1. CQ G4ABC IO91
> >         2.                        G4ABC PA9XYZ JO22
> >         3. PA9XYZ 590003 IO91NP
> >         4.                        G4ABC R 570007 JO22DB
> >         5. PA9XYZ G4ABC RR73
> >
> >         The 4-character locators in messages 1 and 2 are redundant (and
> >         anyway optional).  But they cost nothing to include, and they do
> >         provide some useful initial information.
> >
> >         The first two digits of the exchanges in messages 3 and 4 are an
> >         "RS" signal report.  Because of the strong forward error
> >         correction in FT8, the first digit will always be "5".  The
> >         second digit would be the FT8 S/N reading mapped onto a S1 to S9
> >         scale, using 6 dB per S unit. Something like S1=-24, S2=-18, ...
> >         S9=+24 dB.
> >
> >         Is this an acceptable format for your Region 1 contest
> >         exchanges?  Do you think FT8 might be a popular mode for some
> >         use in EU VHF+ contests?
> >
> >               -- 73, Joe, K1JT
> >
> >         On 6/30/2017 7:37 PM, Palle Preben-Hansen, OZ1RH wrote:
> >
> >             FT8 sounds promising. Joe wrote:
> >             /Three extra bits are available in the message payload, with
> >             uses yet to be //defined.  We have in mind special message
> >             formats that might be used in //contests, and the like.
> >             Your considered suggestions for use of these bits //are very
> >             welcome!/
> >             /
> >             /
> >
> >               1. VHF contests in Europe needs the full 6 digit WWL
> [...]

Best wishes /73
Richard Bown

Email : rich...@g8jvm.com
HTTP  :  http://www.g8jvm.com
nil carborundum a illegitemis
Ham Call: G8JVM . QRV: 50-432 MHz + Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W & 3cms 5W
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 400W, 70cms 200W
OS: Linux Mint 18.1  x86_64 on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop