Quoting Gary Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> It (my system) hangs whenever I try to logout with the dm. This is the reason
>
> [...]
>
> That aspect of the problem disappeared this morning when I updated to the
> most
> recent CVS snapshot, however logout is still causing difficulties.

Check to see if your DM is restarting the x server on each logout, or continuing
to use the same X session.  The latter has become the default, which caused
exactly what you are describing (screen, i/o, sometimes complete system hang on
logout) with the Number 9 Revolution cards I was using, as well as some Fujitsu
tablets, none of which were using DRI/DRM.

The solution was to configure it to kill and create a new X session on each logout.

for XDM:
xdm-config.kcco:DisplayManager*terminateServer: true

for GDM:
AlwaysRestartServer=true

I don't use KDM, but I'm sure something similiar exists for it as well.

This fixed the problems I was having with the Number 9 cards, and with some
Fujitsu tablets, running X 4.0 - 4.2.1 (I have not yet had occasion to try
4.2.99.4 or later on any of those devices), so it may be worth a try.

Good luck,

Jean.