On 21 Feb 2003, Michel D�nzer wrote:

> On Fre, 2003-02-21 at 01:20, Gary Greene wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday 20 Feb 2003 4:40 pm, Michel D�nzer wrote:
> > > On Mit, 2003-02-19 at 06:23, Gary Greene wrote:
> > > > I've got a little problem with XFree's beta release 4.2.99. When I
> > > > logout, or whenever the card blanks the screen (in X mode) my Linux
> > > > system hangs and refuses to come out of the sinal off status. This
> > > > happens only when DRI is enabled. with DRI off the card response
> > > > normally. However, there goes my 3D Hardware support at that time:(
> > > >
> > > > At this time I am forced to "zap" X to log in as another user, or since
> > > > I've got X set up as a SysV-styled service, I have to run /etc/init.d/dm
> > > > stop then restart it.
> > >
> > > Does that work even after logging out? Does setting up the display
> > > manager to always restart the X server work around the problem in that
> > > situation?
> >
> > It (my system) hangs whenever I try to logout with the dm.
>
> So have you tried setting your dm up to restart the server on logout?
> They only reset it by default.
>
> > This is the reason that I am forced to either telinit 3 or "zap" X. This
> > same or similar issue has been reported on the DRI site by me and others
> > using the ATI Radeon (r100) chipset devices.
>
> The thing is, if zapping the server works, then it can't be something
> really bad like a lockup. Maybe the server is running fine, there's
> 'just' no display?

I think that I might be seeing the same problem on a Sapphire Radeon 9000
(detected as a RV250 If) - at least I am seeing similar behavior. The only
thing that triggers the lock for me is logging out while running a display
manager though, at least I haven't seen any other lockups lately. I
haven't had time to nail down if I can avoid it (e.g. by disabling DRI) -
that's why I haven't written about it earlier - but the computer _really_
seems dead. Doesn't even answer a ping, and a hard reset is the only cure.
Nothing shows up in the logs. I'm starting the computer in text mode and
starting X with startx for now, that works fine but having a DM running
would be nice. I'll try to figure out how to make gdm restart instead of
just resetting the X server. (That computer is at home and turned off,
won't be there for a few hours so I can't test it for a while yet.)

I've tried with 4.2.99.3 and 4.2.99.901 (actually CVS from couple of days
after that release), RedHat 8, gcc 3.2, and I have tried both RedHat
2.4.18 kernels and Marcelo's 2.4.21-pre4.

I realize that this isn't really enough information to troubleshoot
sensibly, but I just wanted to let you know for now that this problem does
exist for others too and for later Radeons than the R100 as well.

Apart from this problem I think that XFree86 4.3 looks pretty cool!

Best regards,
Per Bjornsson


_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to