On Fre, 2003-02-21 at 02:11, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2003, Michel D�nzer wrote:
> 
> > On Fre, 2003-02-21 at 01:20, Gary Greene wrote:
> >
> > > This is the reason that I am forced to either telinit 3 or "zap" X. This
> > > same or similar issue has been reported on the DRI site by me and others
> > > using the ATI Radeon (r100) chipset devices.
> >
> > The thing is, if zapping the server works, then it can't be something
> > really bad like a lockup. Maybe the server is running fine, there's
> > 'just' no display?
> 
> I think that I might be seeing the same problem on a Sapphire Radeon 9000
> (detected as a RV250 If) - at least I am seeing similar behavior. The only
> thing that triggers the lock for me is logging out while running a display
> manager though, at least I haven't seen any other lockups lately. I
> haven't had time to nail down if I can avoid it (e.g. by disabling DRI) -
> that's why I haven't written about it earlier - but the computer _really_
> seems dead. Doesn't even answer a ping, and a hard reset is the only cure.

That would be a very thorough lockup.


> I'll try to figure out how to make gdm restart instead of just resetting the 
> X server.

AlwaysRestartServer=true

in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, which I just noticed seems to be the default in
recent versions though, but I can't reproduce the problem setting it to
false either.


> I've tried with 4.2.99.3 and 4.2.99.901 (actually CVS from couple of days
> after that release), RedHat 8, gcc 3.2, and I have tried both RedHat
> 2.4.18 kernels and Marcelo's 2.4.21-pre4.

Are you using the DRM that comes with the kernel or built from CVS?

Also, AGP settings could have an impact, as well as Mike's suggestion
about other hardware.


> I realize that this isn't really enough information to troubleshoot
> sensibly, but I just wanted to let you know for now that this problem does
> exist for others too and for later Radeons than the R100 as well.

I didn't mean to say it was a rare or irrelevant problem (don't have any
numbers), just that it doesn't happen everywhere either.


-- 
Earthling Michel D�nzer (MrCooper)/ Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc) developer
XFree86 and DRI project member   /  CS student, Free Software enthusiast

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to